Atlanta Wedding

Jared VanAlstyne and Kristy Minor are planning a wedding in Atlanta, GA while living in Brooklyn, NY.
This is their web-log of how it all went down.

Monday, September 04, 2006

Invitations

The Wedding invitation, as it has been explained to me, is a chance for the bride and groom to communicate to their wedding guests. Not only does it serve its intended purpose of communicating to the guest:

  1. The fact that the Guest(s) have actually been invited to the Wedding
  2. When the Wedding will take place
  3. Where the Wedding will take place


But it also serves to communicate a number of things herebefore unknown to this groom-to-be to be either important or communicable. I draw upon my time in Ms Hamm's Public speaking class, where I learned that "The burden of communication is on the communicator." In this instance, much of the zeitgeist of the wedding is subtlely alluded to- for those who have eyes to see and ears to hear. If I may be a little less obtuse, I'll add that a majority these things are not meant for those guests who claim to have both a X and Y chromosome. Namely:

  1. The formality of the wedding: How elegant or casual will the reception be?
  2. The color palate that the bride has chosen for the ceremony and reception.
  3. Who is 'hosting' or 'providing' the celebration after the wedding ceremony.
  4. What one can expect to happen at the above mentioned ceremony: Dancing? Chicken Fingers or Prime Rib?
  5. The spelling of the bride-to-be's soon-to-be new last name-to-be. (This one is difficult to predict, and requires the consultation of many wedding oracles involved i.e. bridesmaids.)
  6. How many people, besides the invited guest, are expected as guests to the reception.

I've racked my brain to come up with the above 5 things and have been unable to think of anything more. HOWEVER....I'm certain the women folk reading this blog might be able to give this poor groom-to-be other items that the wedding invitation communicates. I give kudos to those menfolk who are able to glean these above mentioned things upon receipt of our invitation, and I'd encourage you to let me know if you learned anything else about our wedding that may be of interest to me.

I would consider myself a moderately involved groom in the entire process of our wedding planning. My boss has told me on numerous occasions that I'm too involved. He's seemed in a moderate state of confusion and surprise when I tell him what I've been up to and what my 'jobs' are as Kristy and I proceed with our wedding preparations. I wouldn't say that I'm in full control of every aspect of the wedding...which is a good thing. However, I'm also not a "hands-off" participant in our nuptial strategerizing.
However, in the grand scheme of things, I'm not quite sure how "helpful" my input has been, and/or how "productive" my help has been. In general I am a procrastinator and indecisive- two qualities that send shivers down the spines of the vendors and fellow wedding planners involved in our process to get married in November. Or at least that is my impression of the thing...

This confession aside, Kristy and I have found and decided upon some fantastic invitations, in what we think was one of our quickest decisions so far. Well...let me water that down a bit...Kristy and I, looking at our budget and the style options available within this budget, found some invitations that we really liked. About after about a month of "casually" looking, we decided upon the winner in the space of about 48 hours.
Oh, sure we could have spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on some out of this world invitations that were extravagent and oppulent. And sure, we found some interesting inexpensive options, but we wanted to go with a more personal touch; something that we felt said something about us.
(I'm equally horrified and terrified at the last words that have just leapt from my brain onto my keyboard. Somehow or other I've been sucked into a vortex of wedding evil...the kind of frenzy that is prominently showcased on the show Bridezillas. I sincerely hope that you'll let this momentary offence go by unnoticed. [shudders])


So for us, that 48 hours was relatively quick, as far as some of our 'wedding decisions' have gone. And no, we weren't counting the *long* month of "casually looking" that we engaged in previously in our "decision time".

The point:
Very soon, most of you will be receiving a somewhat squarish (read: shape) invitation in the mail featuring a couple holding hands at sunset.

We look forward to spending our first sunset married with each of you, and hope that you'll say "yes" and respond to our invitation by early October.

Did I mention that you could RSVP online? Why yes you can. Once you've gotten our invite in your hot little hands, browse on over to http://jaredv.googlepages.com/rsvponline and look for the RSVP online link. If you have any trouble gettting the RSVP functionality to work, please email us at kristyandjared@gmail.com.

P.S.
For those of you who might have difficulty reading my last name in the font we've chosen in the invitation (read: artistic license) I've spelled it out here for your recordkeeping:
Jared VanAlstyne.
[No space between the "Van" and the big "A".]

And a big shout out to all the ladies who have helped us with the assembling and addressing. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

1 Comments:

  • At 2:53 PM, Anonymous Lindsey Morrow said…

    Wow. That was a lot of words and punctuation. Processing it all should take some time.

    Thanks for the update and I look forward to receiving our invitation!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home